Oct 08, 2021 at 15:27
Audiences are a very important part of the current products of WWE and AEW. If there is no audience, there is no business, and each week the numbers are scrutinized and generate part of the controversy between fans of both companies.
Dave Meltzer, a journalist for the Wrestling Observer, has published a comparison in average audience data of the main AEW and WWE shows compared to last year. According to the statistics of September, Raw and NXT’s product has a lower average audience than last year, while SmackDown and AEW Dynamite have managed to increase it.
Audiences WWE Raw September, compared to 2020:
- Average audience: 1,755,000 viewers (0.3% less than last year)
- Audience in key demographics: 624,000 viewers (8.1% less than last year)
Audiences WWE NXT September, compared to 2020:
- Average audience: 698,000 viewers (8.3% less than last year)
- Audience in key demographics: 224,000 viewers (15.8% less than last year)
Audiences WWE SmackDown September, compared to 2020:
- Average audience: 2,245,000 viewers (4.4% more than last year)
- Audience in key demographics: 224,000 viewers (1.3% more than last year)
Audiences AEW Dynamite September, compared to 2020:
- Average audience: 1,193,000 viewers (30.2% more than last year)
- Audience in key demographics: 591,000 viewers (31% more than last year)
In the results you can clearly see how AEW Dynamite is the program that has grown the most compared to September last year. However, this growth is also due to the arrival of stars such as CM Punk or Daniel Bryan. The average audience for the year is lower than that of September, so we will have to wait for the annual numbers that we will present at the end of 2021. It should also be noted that AEW Rampage does not appear on this list because it has been a little over a month old. life and there is no comparison with the previous year.
One of the most obvious curiosities is the gender difference. WWE has a much more following than AEW when it comes to women. SmackDown averaged 362,000 women between the ages of 18 and 49, while Raw averaged 242,000 and AEW 167,000 on average.
It should be noted that WWE Raw, NXT and AEW Dynamite have the biggest competitors on television with the broadcast of the NFL and MLB. Without going any further, the NFL registered 12,000,000 viewers on average last Monday, while the MLB registered 7 and 6 million on Tuesday and Wednesday night.
Remember that the next WWE PPV is Crown jewel and in Solowrestling you will be up to date with all the related news.