In this Friday’s NFL news: Ian Book would start Week 16; Lavonte David, Leonard Fournette, placed in IR; Azeez Al-Shaair, injured at TNF; and more. Don’t miss the NFL news.
Ian Book would start at Week 16
In New Orleans they are preparing to play with their fourth different starting quarterback this NFL 2021 Season. This Thursday, via Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, the Saints placed QB1 Taysom Hill and QB2 Trevor Siemian in the COVID-19 Reserve. Therefore, everything indicates that for the next Monday Night Football Against Miami, it will be QB Ian Book, a graduate of Notre Dame, who will start the match.
Book, the Saints’ fourth-round pick in last April’s draft, has yet to throw a single pass as a pro in the NFL, but the narrative is about to change. The 23-year-old rookie is the winningest quarterback in Fighting Irish history and was 30-5 over three seasons as a starter at South Bend. He threw for 2,830 yards, 15 TDs and just 3 INTs in 12 games in 2020, his senior year in college, when Notre Dame made the NCAA Playoffs before falling to Alabama.
Thus, everything indicates that Book will be the fourth quarterback to start a regular season game for the Saints in 2021, and with a depth chart In the position that includes Jameis Winston, Trevor Siemian and Taysom Hill, next Monday’s game may be the only chance Book gets to show that he can become the future of this organization. What should we expect from Ian Book against the Dolphins defense?
– Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) December 23, 2021
JC Tretter and the most relevant movements of the COVID-19 Reserve
The league is undeniably going through difficult times. The rate of contagion of coronavirus persists; this Thursday, via Tom Pelissero from NFL Media, 46 players landed in the COVID-19 Reserve, all by positive tests. With this figure, there are already 320 players who have been placed in the Reserve over the last two weeks, and although most have been asymptomatic or have registered mild symptoms, the numbers are historical, and as always, in this space We recap the most relevant appointments of the day:
- C JC Tretter, Cleveland Browns. NFLPA President and Browns center JC Tretter announced Thursday that he tested positive for COVID-19: “After experiencing mild cold-like symptoms this morning, I decided to get tested at our facility and unfortunately , I tested positive for COVID-19, “said Tretter, via twitter. He added that he is vaccinated and that he has already received a booster dose, however, Cleveland visits Green Bay this Saturday, and since it is a short week, his presence for Week 16 is at risk.
- OG Mark Glowinski, Indianapolis Colts. This Thursday the Colts confirmed that starting right guard Mark Glowinski has been placed in the COVID-19 Reserve. Ahead of his visit to Arizona this Saturday in a Week 16 duel, the Indianapolis offensive line could be greatly diminished because, in addition to the potential absence of Glowinski, who this 2021 has participated in 14 games -12 as a starter-, the center Ryan Kelly was also ruled out following the tragic death of his daughter.
- QB Joe flacco, New York Jets. Via Rich Cimini of ESPN, this Thursday the Jets placed QB2 Joe Flacco in the COVID-19 Reserve. Since he is not vaccinated, he will be absent for at least a 10-day period, which means that the fastest he could return would be for Week 17 against the Buccaneers. With the dismissal of Flacco, it will surely be QB Mike White, recently activated from the coronavirus protocols, who will act as direct substitute for QB1 Zach Wilson.
- More Players Added to the COVID-19 Pool: QB Taysom hill, New Orleans Saints; QB Trevor siemian, New Orleans Saints; OT Jordan mills, New Orleans Saints; DT Akiem hicks, Chicago Bears; DB Malik Hooker, Dallas Cowboys; OG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif; New York Jets, DE Ryan kerrigan, Philadelphia Eagles; RB Anthony McFarland; Pittsburgh Steelers; RB Dalvin cook, Minnesota Vikings; among others.
What do you think about the COVID-19 contagion crisis that has gripped the league in the past two weeks? How would these casualties affect your respective teams in Week 16?
A total of 46 players (active roster and practice squad) placed on the COVID-19 list today. All positive tests. Here are the active roster additions. pic.twitter.com/3NQmYzyHKE
– Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) December 23, 2021
Lavonte David, Leonard Fournette, placed in IR
In Tampa Bay they wish the situation were not like this, however, the inevitable has become official. This Thursday the Buccaneers confirmed that both LB Lavonte David (foot) and RB Leonard Fournette (hamstring), who suffered their respective mishaps in the loss to the Saints in Week 15, were placed on Injured Reserve, By ending their regular season, however, the team hopes to win both players back for the Playoffs.
This season Fournette has participated in all 14 meetings of the Buccaneers, registering 180 carries for 812 yards and 8 TDs, in addition to 69 receptions for another 454 yards and 2 touchdowns. With RB Giovani Bernard also in the Injured Reserve, Tampa Bay was forced to reinforce its backfield and thus acquired the services of RB Le’Veon Bell.
For his part, in 12 games this season, David, a 10-year NFL veteran, has 97 tackles, 2 sacks, 4 quarterback hits, 2 forced fumbles and 3 passes defended. How will both casualties affect the Buccaneers heading into the end of the year?
Bucs place Lavonte David, Leonard Fournette on injured reserve. https://t.co/O17Rp6kciP
– ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) December 23, 2021
Azeez Al-Shaair, injured at TNF
Week 16 of the 2021 NFL Season began with the 49ers’ loss to the Titans, however, San Francisco not only lost the game, but also LB Azeez Al-Shaair. Via Eric Brach del San Francisco ChronicleAl-Shaair suffered a knee injury Thursday against Tennessee and will undergo an MRI on Friday to determine the severity of the mishap.
Al-Shaair exited the game in the third quarter and never returned. HC Kyle Shanahan confirmed after the match that it was a medial collateral ligament injury, however, the accuracy of the damage was unknown. The third-year linebacker, who had just returned to the team’s starting roster after missing the Week 15 game against the Falcons with a shoulder injury, may now be out for a longer time heading into the season finale.
This 2021 Al-Shaair has started 13 games, registering 102 total tackles, 1 INT, 1 forced fumble, 2 recovered, 5 passes defended, 2 quarterback hits and 2 sacks. How would this loss detract from the 49ers defense in their bid to make the postseason?
49ers linebacker Azeez Al-Shaair has MCL injury. https://t.co/c8Ji0lnP5B
– ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) December 24, 2021
Ryan Kelly and the most relevant absences for Saturday’s games
In more NFL news, Week 16 of the 2021 season brings us 2 scheduled Saturday games. In the first instance, the Browns visit Green Bay at 3:30 pm; later, Arizona receives the Colts at 7:15 pm; both in Central Mexico time. However, several key elements of the four teams will not be able to participate in the stellar double card, and in this space, we review all the confirmed casualties so far:
Players discarded for the Saturday matches of Week 16:
- Cleveland Browns: S John johnson (hamstring)
- Green bay Packers: T David bakhtiari (knee), LB Ty summers (hamstring), WR Malik Taylor (shoulder), OL Billy turner (knee)
- Indianapolis Colts: C Ryan kelly (personal matter), S Andrew Sendejo (shock)
- Arizona Cardinals: DL Jordan phillips (knee)
How will these casualties affect your respective teams in Week 16? Which teams will prevail in these games with huge Playoff implications?
– Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL) December 23, 2021
Want to hear more about the NFL? Do not miss Under Review, the official NFL news program for Primero y Diez where we review the best of the day, Monday through Friday at 3:00 p.m. Central Mexico, along with Jorge Tinajero, Luis Obregón and more.
You can watch the latest episode through the Primero y Diez official channel on YouTube or direct from here:
In case you missed it:
We would love to say thanks to the author of this write-up for this awesome content
NFL News – Friday, December 24, 2021