Pelé leaves the hospital after spending a month in hospital

SAO PAULO – Former Brazilian soccer player Edson Arantes do Nascimento ‘Pelé’ received his medical discharge this Thursday after spending a month in a hospital in Sao Paulo where a tumor was removed in his colon; now, Pelé will continue a treatment with “chemotherapy”, informed medical sources.

The triple world champion, who will turn 81 on October 23, is “stable” and “will continue in chemotherapy,” according to the latest bulletin from the Albert Einstein Hospital, one of the most prestigious private clinics in Brazil.

Pelé was hospitalized on August 31 for routine examinations that he had postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic and during the tests he underwent, a “suspicious” tumor was detected in the colon on which he underwent four days of surgery. after.

Pelé left the hospital through a door other than the main one, where a score of professionals from the national and international media were waiting.

‘O Rei’ was hospitalized on August 31 for routine examinations that he had postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic and that detected a “suspicious” tumor in the colon on which he underwent surgery four days later.

The results of the biopsy of that tumor have not been released so far.

After the surgery, he spent several days in the intensive care unit until they brought him up to the ward.

However, on September 17 he suffered “brief respiratory instability”, which is why he was transferred to semi-intensive care, according to Albert Einstein.

Since then, Pelé and his family have shared videos and photographs showing his apparently satisfactory clinical progress on their social networks, in an attempt to reassure his millions of followers.

The former Santos y Cosmos player, considered by many to be the best footballer in history, has been seen in those videos pedaling on a static machine and exchanging a medicine ball with a hospital physiotherapist, among other activities.

“It is true that I can no longer jump, but, in recent days, I have punched the air more than normal. I am very happy to return home,” said today in a message on his social networks Pelé, who also thanked the affection received from the doctors who treated him.

“When the road is difficult, celebrate each step of the day. Focus on your happiness,” added the former footballer.

He has also had time in recent days to congratulate Lionel Messi from a distance after the Argentine striker surpassed him as the all-time top scorer for South American teams.

During his convalescence, ‘O Rei’, world champion in 1958, 1962 and 1970, has been accompanied at all times by his daughter Kely Nascimento, who traveled from the United States to closely follow the evolution of her father, and his wife Marcia Aoki .

The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) celebrated the departure of Pelé’s hospital this Thursday on its social networks: “A piece of news of these deserves to be very celebrated! The kingdom of football celebrates your health, King!”.

The Brazilian star’s health has deteriorated in recent years due to spinal, hip and knee problems that have reduced his mobility and forced him to undergo surgery, in addition to suffering some kidney crises.