In the NFL news this Monday: Josh Sweat signs extension with Eagles; Richard Sherman, in talks with various teams, the Cowboys will appeal La’el Collins’s suspension, and more. Don’t miss the NFL news.
Josh Sweat signs Eagles extension
This Saturday the Eagles secured one of their best men on defense in the long term. Via Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, DE Josh Sweat signed a 3-year, $ 40 million contract extension with $ 26.92 guaranteed. However, the contract could be worth up to $ 42 million, with $ 2 million in incentives if Sweat manages to make 7 or more sacks in each of the next 3 seasons, 9 or more sacks in two of the next three, or 11 or more in any one. of the next three years.
The Florida State graduate, who came to Philadelphia in the 2018 NFL Draft as a fourth-round pick, will earn $ 921,000 in base salary in 2021 in what is the final year of his rookie contract. However, he will now be a member of the Eagles until NFL Season 2024.
Since joining the team, Sweat, 24, has registered 66 total tackles, 10 sacks and 3 fumbles recovered in 40 games. Also, this is the second extension made by the Eagles in the regular season so far, as it was OT Jordan Mailata who signed a new deal last week. What do you think of the extensions made by Philadelphia?
Eagles sign Josh Sweat to three-year extension. https://t.co/LN3obXAmA6
– ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) September 18, 2021
Richard Sherman, in talks with various teams
CB Richard Sherman could return to the NFL earlier than planned. Sherman, 33, who was arrested last July, is still a free agent, but that may change in the coming weeks. Via Tom Pelissero of NFL MediaSeveral league teams, including Tampa Bay, San Francisco and Seattle, have shown interest in Sherman because he has been going to therapy since the mishap he starred in two months ago.
Undeniably for the Buccaneers, he would be a great addition after CB Sean Murphy-Bunting was placed on Injured Reserve for a dislocated elbow, and teammate Carlton Davis, the starting cornerback, is dealing with a hamstring injury. . For their part, the 49ers are in a similar situation. They lost CB Jason Verrett for the rest of the year, and Sherman could add the required depth alongside newcomer Josh Norman.
Finally, either as a substitute or directly replacing Ahkello Witherspoon’s discharge, the Seahawks would give Sherman the opportunity to rejoin the team where he began his professional career in 2011. To date, after 11 seasons played, Sherman has accumulated 139 games played, 484 tackles, 115 passes defended and 36 INT. In addition, he has been a Pro Bowler five times and also an All-Pro. Which team should give him another shot in the NFL?
Report: Bucs spoke to Richard Sherman after Sean Murphy-Bunting injury. https://t.co/CtR9lP2OH3
– ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) September 19, 2021
Cowboys appeal La’el Collins suspension
It was reported 10 days ago that Dallas right tackle La’el Collins was suspended five games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. The suspension went into effect yesterday, and Collins saw no action in the Cowboys game against the Chargers, however, last Saturday it was reported, via Adam Schefter of ESPN, that Dallas is appealing this decision.
The reason for the suspension of Collins was because, according to multiple reports, he missed several tests for prohibited substances, however, the Cowboys believe that there are valid reasons to justify his absence in almost every one of the tests that he did not. presented.
One of the tests was held in November, the day Dallas strength and conditioning coach Markus Paul passed away, so the organization decided to send all of its players home. Another test came on the day of Collins’ uncle’s funeral in Arizona, and the Cowboys gave their right tackle permission to leave town and mourn with his family.
Finally, a third failed test was performed on the day Collins underwent hip surgery last October. The league later detected a positive codeine test against him, but Collins was prescribed the drug after surgery. In addition, their representatives argue that, under the banned substances policy of the new collective agreement, suspensions are not allowed for failure to appear for tests.
If the reasons for his absence are 100% true, we could see Collins return earlier than expected to the field of play. Otherwise, the LSU graduate will be eligible to return to the roster until October 18, the day after the Cowboys play the Patriots. Should the NFL lift his suspension?
Cowboys’ RT La’el Collins is appealing and citing excused absences for his missed drug tests, per sources.https://t.co/WyDl4JrmwL
– Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 19, 2021
TJ Watt, Tua Tagovailoa and the most relevant injuries of Week 2
In the absence of Monday Night Football, Week 2 of the 2021 NFL Season has almost come to an end. We had a Sunday full of emotions: the Bills shut out the Dolphins, Tennessee came back from the road in Seattle, the Chiefs and Ravens gave us a great game, and more. However, like every weekend, there were injuries everywhere and in this space we review the most important casualties.
- LB Tj watt, Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers star linebacker, who just signed a mega contract extension, left Sunday’s game against the Raiders with a sore groin. His status at the time was questionable, but at halftime he was ruled out entirely. Now, Pittsburgh hopes not to lose him beyond Week 2, as his absence would be a tremendous loss on defense.
- QB Tua Tagovailoa, Miami Dolphins. Only one drive was enough in yesterday’s match for Tua to have to leave the pitch due to a rib injury suffered after receiving a hard blow. However, the severity of the injury is unknown for sure, but today an MRI will be performed to detail the damage.
- QB Carson wentz, Indianapolis Colts. Alarms went off once more over Indianapolis. QB Carson Wentz was unable to finish the game against the Rams after being injured after a hit from DT Aaron Donald. The initial diagnosis is an ankle injury, but the exact depth of the injury is not yet known.
- FROM Brandon graham, Philadelphia Eagles. Terrible news for those led by Nick Sirianni. Graham, a 33-year veteran, suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon so he will miss the rest of the 2021 NFL Season as well. confirmed it through his Twitter account.
- Other notable casualties: QB Andy dalton, Chicago Bears; QB Tyrod Taylor, Houston Texans; WR Danny Amendola, Houston Texans, LB Bradley Chubb, Denver Broncos; WR Jarvis Landry, Cleveland Browns; RB Darrell Henderson Jr., Los Angeles Rams; RB Trey Sermon, San Francisco 49ers; NT Tyson Alualu, Pittsburgh Steelers.
Injuries from the early slate of games included: TJ Watt, Tyrod Taylor, Bradley Chubb, Tua Tagovailoa, Andy Dalton, Carson Wentz, Jarvis Landry, and Darrell Henderson, Jr.
– Field Yates (@FieldYates) September 19, 2021
Lions historic Roger Bown passes away
In more NFL news, a Lions historian, and also a former Rams member, passed away last Friday at age 84. This is DT Roger Brown, a Maryland State graduate, who came to the league as a fourth-round pick from Detroit in the 1960 NFL Draft.
He played with the Lions for seven seasons, and subsequently played another three with the Rams before his retirement. In 10 years of career he played 138 games, managed to reach 6 Pro Bowls in a row (1962-67) and was a two-time Pro Bowler.
Brown will also be remembered for being a participant in the “Thanksgiving Massacre”When in 1962 he had seven sacks over former Packers quarterback Bart Starr. However, these sacks were not official since it was only in 1982 when the catches were made official as statistics.
“Roger Brown will always hold a special place in our team history,” Lions owner Sheila Ford Hamp said in a statement. A member of the esteemed ‘Fearsome Foursome’ of the 1960s Lions with Alex Karras, Darris McCord and Sam Williams, Roger’s career achievements solidify his legacy alongside some of the all-time greats of our game. “Ford concluded to honor one of the best defensive players ever to play for this franchise.
Pride of the Lions inductee Roger Brown dies at 84. https://t.co/z7vDBRfwIO
– ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) September 18, 2021
This is today’s NFL news.
Want to hear more news from the NFL? Do not miss Under Review, the official news program of Primero y Diez where we review the best of the day, from Monday to Friday at 3:00 p.m. from Central Mexico, along with Jorge Tinajero, Luis Obregón and more.
You can watch the episode of Friday, September 17th through the Primero y Diez official channel on YouTube or direct from here:
In case you missed it: