NEW YORK – The ace of the New York Yankees, Gerrit cole, tested positive for COVID-19 and will not make its scheduled opening for Tuesday, in what is the latest virus setback for the team.
New York manager Aaron Boone made the announcement following Monday’s 7-1 loss to the Baltimore Orioles at Yankee Stadium. He said he was informed of the positive test in the second entry.
“As of now, he’s the only one,” Boone said.
Earlier this month, the star slugger Aaron Judge He was among six Yankees players who tested positive for coronavirus.
“It’s definitely tough. It’s been a tough year. We got this news with Cole and definitely a low blow there,” the Yankees catcher said, Gary Sanchez, through an interpreter.
Cole is 10-6 with a 3.11 ERA in 21 starts. The four-time All-Star is coming off a 14-0 loss at Tampa Bay on July 29 in which he allowed eight runs in five and a half innings.
Cole, 30, is in his second season with the Yankees.
Boone said that Nestor Cortes Jr will likely start in Cole’s place against the Orioles on Tuesday night. Cortés is recordless with a 1.93 ERA in three starts and eight relief appearances for the Yankees this season.
The Yankees’ first game after the July 15 All-Star break against the Boston Red Sox was postponed due to the virus outbreak.
Several Major League teams have recently been affected by positive tests for the virus. Among them, the Milwaukee Brewers have put the closer in the last week Josh hader, to the star gardener Christian yelich already the pitchers Jake cousins, Jandel Gustave Y Hunter strickland on the COVID-19 injured list.