Minor league players and Major League Baseball have settled a lawsuit alleging the clubs had violated minimum wage laws.
Terms of the settlement were not disclosed in a document filed with the court Tuesday.
Two people familiar with the negotiations, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details are not allowed to be released, said the two sides discussed in recent weeks the possibility of reaching a settlement worth about $200 million.
“We are pleased to report that the parties have reached an agreement in principle in this case that has been pending for more than eight years, subject to court approval,” the players’ attorneys said in a statement. “We are anxious to file preliminary approval documents with the court, and cannot comment further until then.”
Both parties have asked the court for permission to file documents seeking approval of the settlement by January 11.
The lawsuit was filed in 2014 by first baseman and outfielder Aaron Senne, selected in the tenth round of the draft by the Miami Marlins in 2009 and who retired in 2013. Two other players who retired after being recruited in the last rounds also filed the complaint. in the draft: Kansas City Royals infielder Michael Liberto and San Francisco Giants pitcher Oliver Odie.
All three indicated that there were violations of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, as well as the minimum wage and overtime requirements for a workweek that they estimated to be between 50 and 60 hours.
A trial had been scheduled for June 1 in federal district court in San Francisco. Various categories of players are part of a case involving the laws of different states.
We wish to thank the writer of this short article for this remarkable material
Minor players reach settlement in lawsuit