The shortstop for the Houston Astros, Carlos Correa, told MLB.com that while he will be a free agent at the end of the current season, which entered his final month on Wednesday, that he has not completely ruled out a return to Houston.
As reported by journalist Brian McTaggart, Correa has not had recent conversations with management as requested. Correa turned down an offer of $ 120 million for six years and then another of five for $ 125 million.
“I was very clear that once the season started, I didn’t want to have conversations,” the Puerto Rican told MLB.com. “Obviously they have respected that. We’ll see what happens at the end of the season. We will see where we are ”.
A week ago, Correa had hinted that his time with the Astros was over. The Puerto Rican is one of four elite shortstop who would enter free agency at the end of the season, and the amounts of money they would potentially offer Correa could complicate the Astros’ ability to try to meet his demands.
But the Santa Isabel said the door is still open to return to Houston next year.
“You never know. Obviously I won’t have a contract with the Astros for next year. Who knows? If they want to keep me here I will be very happy to stay. If they don’t see me with the team in the long run, I’ll go play with another team. That decision is out of my hands. The only thing in my power is the way I execute on the field and the way it helped my team win.
According to McTaggart, Correa admitted that as the season enters his final month, he knows he could get sentimental, especially to fans at Minute Maid Park.
“Oh. 100% knowing that it is my last year of contract without knowing if I am going to return, of course I am going to get sentimental “, he told MLB.com.