The one of Puerto Rican origin Andrew Velasquez had to go through a lot of hard times to shine in a few games with the Yankees of New York in the MLB.
Velázquez was signed in 2012 by the Arizona Diamondbacks, then traded to the Tampa Rays alongside Justin Williams in exchange for Jeremy Hellickson, where he made his Major League debut playing 13 games with 300 from AVG.
While on July 3, 2019 he was traded to the Cleveland Indians in exchange for cash. Where he played just 5 games before being put on waivers. Shortly after, the Baltimore Orioles claimed Andrew VelasquezThere, he played 40 games in the Major Leagues, batting 159. with 0 homers, 4 RBIs, 2 stolen bases and 10 hits in 63 at-bats.
Then on January 3, 2021, he signed a Minor League contract with the Yankees of New York, and although he hit 200. with 1 RBI and 3 stolen bases, Aaron Boone praised his legs and defense in different positions on the field, for which he was sent to the minors.
This was his sequence:
- On June 9, 2012 signed by the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- On November 14, 2014, he traded to the Rays with Justin Willians for Jeremy Hellickson.
- On July 3, 2019 traded to the Indians for cash.
- February 14, 2020 designated for assignment by the Indians.
- On February 19, 2020 signed by the Orioles.
- On November 2, 2020, he opted for free agency.
- On January 5, 2021, he signed with the New York Yankees.
Andrew Velasquez The 27-year-old, 5’9, hit 283. with 7 homers, 43 RBIs, 32 walks, 26 stolen bases, 18 doubles, 3 triples and 65 hits at Triple-A with the Bronx Mules.
With the injury of GLeyber Torres and Gio Urhsela, the Yankees they made their call to the big team, which he dreamed of playing for when he was a kid growing up in the very Bronx.
Since he received the opportunity, he has been playing at shortstop, where he looks spectacular defensively and not to mention his batting, in about 11 games he is hitting 280. with 7 hits, 4 RBI, 2 stolen bases and 5 scored in the RBI. MLB2021.
ANDREW VELASQUEZ THE DAMN BRONX KID CAME TO PLAY pic.twitter.com/C9JbA9wZpn
– 4 Train Savages (@FourSavages) August 19, 2021
– Baseball Mundo Afora 🌍 (@beisebolmafora) August 11, 2021
BX own Andrew Velasquez flexing on the Red Sox with his 4th RBI in the series 💪🏽 pic.twitter.com/m49PpmEQy2
– Pinstripe Strong (@PinstripeStrong) August 19, 2021
– Lunch Break Baseball (@LunchBreakBB) August 20, 2021